Sunday, March 6, 2011

Luke 22:10


Every Christian church has some moment of celebration based on this verse and verse 11 that follows.  The Lord’s Supper, Communion, and Eucharist, are words I have heard used to name this event.   Some of our beliefs about this observance separate us into denominations instead of bringing us together.   Even within denominations beliefs separate us into other groups.  For instance some Baptists believe in “Closed” Communion and others believe in “Open”.   (Closed can mean members of a local church only, or only Baptists.)  

It is hard to objectively look at any verse of the Bible without being influenced by what our past church experience has been.  But Jesus definitely wanted us to routinely observe a time to remember Him just as he was taking the time to observe the Passover.    He passed out bread during the Passover meal and told his disciples, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."   

What am I to remember with this bread?  In what sense was Jesus’ body given for me?   Only given when he died?  I don’t think Jesus’ sacrificial death is entirely what this means.  I really think it involves all of Jesus’ humanity because it does not end with his death.  It began with his birth. His body was given then, it was given  with his sacrificial death and it continues even still to be given for me forever.  He still has his human body, glorified as it is. He did not inhabit a human body for a few years and then leave it to go back to heaven.  God made a permanent commitment to us when Jesus was born.  I really don’t understand the cost for Him to make that connection to humankind.  But to me it means that something about me was important enough for God to do so.  I must be of great value to him. Others must be also.  I need to see myself and others through God's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment