Sunday, June 26, 2011

Luke 22:28-30

In 2010 I received a grant from the USDA for the construction of a greenhouse.  Only problem was that I had to build the greenhouse BEFORE I received the money to do so.  I was about to give up on the project when in January of 2011 some supporters "granted" me some front money so that I could get started.  Yesterday we put most of the plastic on the structure.  I will breath a big sigh of relief when the project is finally completed, I get my money from USDA and pay back the loans from all those wonderful supporters. 

In Luke 22 verse 30 Jesus announces to his disciples that He is going to give them a "grant".  Not money,  and not now.  He was giving them a place at his future "table" and a position as judge.  I was wondering why Jesus intended to give them the grant.  At first glance it seems that this grant may be a reward for "sticking with him through thick and thin" as the Message paraphrase puts it.  If that is so, I guess Jesus was not  including the next few hours when they would all run off and hide when he was arrested.  Oh that's right.  One of them didn't run off.  Peter followed him at a distance and then before he ran off, he verbally denied that he even knew him.

The table is a picture of the disciples being included with Jesus in the hereafter.   That is a good thing.  When I die I expect to be included too.  Judas was not included.  Some others through the years may not be included either. On what basis were they included?  Not on the basis of performance, because in that regard they were failures.  Jesus said, "Just as my father has granted me a kingdom."   Why was the kingdom granted to Jesus?  Our place at the table is granted for the same reason "as my father has granted to me a kingdom".  Well  it can't be based on performance.  Jesus performed flawlessly and we do not.  The grants are based on God's sovereign choice.   He grants to whomever he chooses whatever he chooses.

And then the matter of granting them a "throne".  He just gave them a lecture about true greatness because they were arguing about who was the greatest among them.  He set them straight by telling them that the greatest was the servant.  So what about this granted "throne"?

Here is what I think.  When Jesus mentions that the disciples had been with him in verse 28 he is not stating the basis for a future reward.  He is only making a statement about those who remained with him.  One of them did not remain. (Judas)  His promise of future reward is not based on performance.  If  the reward was based on performance then all of them would have forfeited the prize in the next few hours when the failed to "remain".   Secondly the reward of a "throne" is not a reward but a place of service.  They just had received a condemnation for arguing who was the greatest.  Jesus had told them the greatest was the servant.  Now he promised them a future of servant-hood not "Greatness" where they could "lord it over someone".

Now we can conclude that the future holds two good things.  A position and a purpose.  A position at the table  (we will be with the Lord) and a purpose (we will have a place of service). 

But just like my greenhouse grant, there is no funding for a while.  I am trying to wait patiently Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment