Saturday, July 9, 2011

Luke 22:35-38

I have such a bountiful crop of star thistle this year.  It seems to grow better than anything I plant on purpose.  If I were alive in California during the Gold Rush I would not yet see a single star thistle in anyone’s garden.   Someone brought star thistle seed to America about that time.   It is not a native plant.  I have read one estimate that there are now 15 million acres of this invasive species growing in the United States.     I think I have more than my fair share.  But before I complain too much I have to admit that weeding in the field I have learned something about my life.  It is a lot like battling weeds from season to season.

In verse 35 – 38 Jesus reminded the disciples of how in the past they did not have to worry about food, money, clothing, their personal safety.  No worries.  Now He said things were about to change.  They needed to have money, a packed suitcase, and be prepared to defend themselves.   What had changed?  Sometimes life goes along without too much turmoil sometimes it is incredibly difficult.   Jesus’ explanation for the change was that his life was following a path.  This change of circumstance was part of a cycle.  It was part of a design.   It was not a reaction to any thing that was happening at the moment. (I do not agree with those who want to see every disaster as God's attempt to punish us.)

I mention in my last post how faith seems to survive regardless of circumstance.  One of the ways I am learning to mentally survive turmoil is to recognize that sometimes hardship is as much a part of life as weeds are a part of farming.  Farmers were doing battle with weeds before I started farming and they will still be battling weeds when I am gone.  Some things about life are just like weeds.   Having weeds is not a sign of personal failure.  (Maybe letting them go to seed and having more of them next year is?)   I hope you get what I mean.  I think I should not take every bump in the road of my life so personally.  The next traveler will hit the same bump. The problem is with the road not the traveler.

I also think that the best way to survive weeding is to discover that everyone else has weeds too.   Does your life have a good healthy crop of thistle?  We should probably let each other know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment