Saturday, August 13, 2011

Luke 22:54-62 The Rooster Crows


One of my favorite farm sounds is the sound of a rooster crowing early in the morning.  I am an early riser anyway so I don’t mind the noise.  The posted picture above, is our favorite Americana rooster who used to sing for us every morning.  That is, until his demise in the jaws of a marauding bobcat.    Now the mornings are silent. 

Occasionally when I hear a rooster I think of the story Peter told about his night with Jesus at the High Priest’s Home in Jerusalem.  He said that Jesus told him earlier that before a rooster crowed the next morning he would deny that he even knew him.  And there in the courtyard of the High Priest’s home, warming himself by a fire, Peter denied that he even knew Jesus.  Peter said that as he made his third denial he heard a rooster crow.  He looked in the direction where Jesus was being held and their eyes met.  They both heard the rooster crow and "knew". Jesus had earlier predicted what Peter had just done, and Peter immediately realized what had happened.  The Bible records that Peter left the scene and “wept bitterly”.   

Sometimes events, smells, sights, etc trigger memories from our past.  I saw a television program about old-fashioned Scandinavian cookie making with a cooked press. As I watched I remembered my grandma making the same cookies when I was a kid.  I could almost smell and taste them.  When I hear a rooster I feel connected with the farm and farm life.  When Peter heard a rooster I am sure he would occasionally remember that night in the courtyard.  The look on Jesus’ face.  The feelings of sorrow and regret.   

I have experiences in my own past that I wish I could undo.  Things I never thought would happen, but they did.  Every now and then something triggers a buried memory and I weep a little inside where no one can see. I think I know how Peter may have felt when he heard a rooster crow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment