Sunday, February 20, 2011

Luke 22:16

16for I say to you, I shall never again eat it until it is fulfilled in the kingdom of God."
Jesus is facing his own torturous death and yet he is thinking about the future.  He is making plans even as he faces the end.  He says that this is the last Passover he will celebrate… until the next one.  He says that He will eat the next Passover after it’s meaning is fulfilled in the kingdom. 
  
In Exodus 6:6-7   God mentioned four things he was going to do for the Israelites in Egypt.

“I will bring you out” 
"I will deliver you"
“I will redeem you”
“I will take you to me for a people”

Each of these promises was celebrated at the Passover meal by a cup of wine.  The first two cups were drunk during the meal and the last two after the meal.  (Some add a fifth cup after the meal from a promise in verse 8, “I will give it (the land) to you for a possession.”)  I personally think that the cup Jesus called the “new covenant in my blood” was the third cup.  The cup of redemption, as his blood would release us from sin’s prison.  The fulfillment of the fourth and maybe fifth cup was yet to come.  I would like to imitate Jesus example of facing hardship that I see demonstrated in this verse.

As Jesus faced hardship, he believed he had a future. 
As Jesus faced hardship he believed that the difficulty was a smaller part of a bigger drama.
As Jesus faced hardship he tried to give the vision to others. 
As Jesus faced hardship he believed that there are some meaningful things that survive any difficulty, even death.

No comments:

Post a Comment