Sunday, February 6, 2011

Luke 22:7-13

All or Nothing?

I remember the story about Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  Goldie found that the lukewarm porridge was “just right”.  (Neither hot nor cold).  Jesus said that if he found a follower to be like that (lukewarm) he would “spew him out of his mouth”. (Revelation 3:16)  I have difficulty in my spiritual path following Jesus when it comes to an acceptable level of commitment or devotion.  Is it really all or nothing or is it all or something? 

Why did Jesus tell Peter and John to go to town and prepare the Passover?  Why did Jesus maintain this connection with the Jewish Religion when the leaders of that very Religion were plotting his death?  I guess, if I were to be honest, I would have abandoned the whole thing.  It would have be an “all or nothing” thing for me.  But even though Jesus often showed contempt for what the Jewish religion had become, He did not abandon it.


I think Jesus saw some things I don’t often see without some effort.  He saw something worthwhile mixed together with something that was not.  (Sort of like seeing me and my life.)  He also saw himself in that thing of value.  When he celebrated the meal he made mention that the meal did more than commemorate the delivery of Israel from slavery in Egypt.  He revealed a new message in an old practice, “this is my body” and “this is my blood”. 

I have met many people in my lifetime who have abandoned the Christian faith and their own spiritual journey because they were disillusioned by churches, people, or God himself.  For them it was all or nothing.  There is another old saying that I have heard a lot.  It was first found in print in England about 500 years ago.  “Don’t throw out the baby with the bath water.”  In other words it may not be all or nothing, but maybe all or something. 

Teale

No comments:

Post a Comment